Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Art Day...


I love this little group and it has been kind of inspiring me today, so I figured I would let it inspire you. And speaking ever so subtly about inspiration, Friday the BF and I are going to do the First Friday Artwalk in the Haymarket. http://downtownlincoln.org/firstfriday  I've only done the walk like one time before, so I am kind of hoping it is not all crazy. I like art, but I rarely get out to see any. Honestly, it is alittle weird.

So, I was all thinking about it and made an artistic decision. I've stopped writing for this month. I'm taking June off. I'm going to read other people's books for a while and maybe set pencil to paper, to produce some sketches. After making this decision, I felt pretty good about it. I had a business writing teacher say that it is important to step away from your writing for a while then come back to it and some times it looks entirely different. Perhaps, that is true. I am a little burned out on editing and re-editing everything again and again. There are some books I have been meaning to read, some pictures in my head that need to be expressed on paper in a medium other than words.

With that said, today I had a whole list of important tasks to accomplish --none of which I did. I pissed away the whole day with scrapebooking supplies, scissors, and a glue stick. Making some funny brilliant collages. I am not going into detail or posting pics of them until after Friday as a couple of them were gifts for the BF and his despairingly bare walls. But, I will say they are kind of pop art-ish, Portlandia inspired things that I am really pretty proud of, and think he will like, and when I finished them I felt accomplished. Yeah, I know, kind of corny, making presents for my boyfriend. I am so bloody sappy sometimes it's sickening. I get it. But, that's supposed to be one of the perks of dating a poor artistic type girl, right? We may not be practical, but we can love ya in every colorful medium possible.

Yet another personality facet in the myriad of oddities all inhabiting my brain on a regular basis. I even sat around in a brand new batikied hippie tank top, which was a hand-me-down from a friend. It was like old times on the floor of my dorm room drawing on my jeans with sharpies. I'm not that great an artist, but as I roam the internet --not everyone putting out art is, in my opinion. So, make what you like, draw how you want, sew things, splatter paint, cook something marvelous. There are so many ways to really appreciate beauty.

Well, that means all my adult tasks were pushed to tomorrow before work. It's gonna be tight, but I think I can get it done. I close again tomorrow. Then date on Friday, and working all weekend. Blah, blah, blah.

No comments: