Sunday, June 19, 2011

Daddy Gets the Big Piece of Chicken


Happy Father's Day --to all of them. To my Dad, who I called Daddy until I was in college and someone told me it was a little childish to do so.

A stubborn quiet man who taught me many things, like how to whistle and make a cheesey smile. Who puts the fartsy in 'artsy fartsy'. Who gave me his nose and an understanding of the importance of good manners. Who simply stated that if it was important to me, all I ever had to do was say and he would be there. Who has some great stories and better punchlines. Who let me know that my family did not have to like who I was with, I did. Who taught me what family was about and that it was something you chose to be a part of. Who said it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe in something. Whose good advice made a lot more sense after I had really f-ed something up. Who let me know that I was worth more than a Shelby Cobra and three corvettes. Who I have worked for years and years to make proud -even though I knew he was proud of me all the time, that's why he carries my picture in his wallet.

Really, this day is another one of those holidays we should be celebrating every single day, just like Mother's Day and my birthday. But, thank you to all the spectacular dads and all the work they do to turn out good people. To the single dads struggling (K), the step dads who step in effortlessly (J), the adoption dads who go through the whole process (B), the guys who want desperately to be dads (T), the dads who just can't keep it in their pants and pay child support for like six kids (J), to the father figures who teach and work with kids just because they like it (J), to the guy trying to convince the world's most cynical girl to make babies with him and not doing too bad a job (K), and finally to my patriarch, for everything (C). Happy Father's Day, Guys!

No comments: