Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Doing Something Well


Sometimes I will watch something that really makes me just wish and wish that I did something spectacularly. Like play music, which really is such an admirable talent and yet something entirely out of my realm of skill. Like you know when you're a kid and you look at something on TV about child prodigies and tell you parents rather precociously "I could do something like that." Then your parents smile at you and encourage you to simply do your best when secretly they are praying to God that you do have some kind of talent at something. Or at least, that you will not grow up to be good at mass murder or tax evasion.

There are days, rare moments of clarity, when I realize I am good at certain things --not like, so good they could be a job really sort of things, but you know "Hey, I did the dishes really well tonight." or "Hey, I really helped that person find something that made their day a little easier." sort of things. Nothing fabulous or spectacular, but I did tell that joke rather well or I did communicate very articulately where the restrooms were located. But, honestly, I don't ever really feel like I was/am the very best at something. It seems to me that people who focus too sharply on being the best at something can lose sight of all the other stuff that is worth doing well. Perhaps, I am really great at not being really great at anything in particular. I doubt it is really worth speculating on too long, but every once in a while I am pushed to it.

Plus, there are many things I have never tried to do so perhaps I simply have not done the one I am best at yet. It is worth considering, at least. Perhaps, I am the best underwater salvage expert or the best gaucho or the best penguin communication expert or the best cook of turnips --I mean really the list goes on and on about that one, I suppose. Which turns this into another blog about potential and whether I'm tapping it or not, as much as it is a blog about being good at something right now. So, I suppose tomorrow I will work on being really good at something else. Maybe I am the best at procrastination. Although really then I would just be very good at something bad, which is an entirely different line of thinking. Hmmm, maybe I'm the best at over-thinking. Yep, another bad one. I suppose I will have to settle for being really good at being slightly non-mundane. That one sounds about right, really.

1 comment:

BrewMaven said...

Don't forget you are a really good writer. :)