Thursday, September 29, 2011

Exercising For People Who Hate Exercise



So, in focusing on other things lately, aside from the melancholy lukewarm dating experiences I have had lately, I redirected. Recently when I do this, the easiest place for me to turn is to my exercise regiment. I really, really hate exercise (in high school I made it to state speech with an entertainment piece about how stupid all the weight loss stuff really was, it was very body positive and funny), however, after trying nearly every diet available, including WW and some light vegetarianism, and about every pill you can think of or get your hands, on including the prescription stuff, I discovered that the key really is the exercise --whether I liked it or not.

After losing, at this point 43lbs since February 2011 when I started, I figured today would be a good day to offer up some of the little secrets I have about it, so as to possibly help other girls or boys who need them. Some are cliché (but true), some are not. Take it for what it is worth, it's free advice to the world.

1). The name of the game is moving more. I used to hate to sweat (I would break out and stink and I detest that), but came to terms with this. Use that clinical deodorant, it works. If you are sweating, it's working so come to terms with this one early. You may think you don't have time --well, how about this time you are spending fat, do you really love that time? Yeah, thought not. Make time.

2). Buy one of those stupid balls. I know it is trendy and whatever, if you are totally overweight it should be what you add to your walking around regime. Get a weighted one, if you can, so you don't have to spend separate money on weights, because weightlifting is what will help you lose weight, plain and simple. I only do about two exercises with it, but they are great. Because my ball is weighted I pick it up and just move it in a big slow circle in front of me. It works my arms and back. My favorite ball exercise is pictured below. When I started doing it I could only do about five, then had to stop --there is no shame in starting slow, as long as you stick with it.

                                        
3). Make an effort to leave about half the food on your plate. At first, this will seem wasteful and may leave you a little hungry. Hungry is okay -we are Americans we are never starving. Pretty soon you will begin taking less portions or putting it back in the fridge to eat the other half tomorrow. Those are good habits. And fiber, eat as much of it as you can. Counting is bunk, eat what you want, when you want, but eat less of it. Also, make sure if you are dieting to take a vitamin to make sure you get everything, that one is important, we want to be healthy.

4). This is a new move I just learned and I think it is helping me get rid of those obnoxious bingo wings, or flabby arms. What you do is just lift your arms above your head and squeeze your elbows in towards your head. Are you doing it? Yeah, I know you can feel it working already. Now, just keep doing it. Do it at random times during the day. Lift a paperweight up there while you are sitting at your desk.

5). And this is the last little piece of good advice. While we are standing around doing nothing --waiting at the bank, waiting for something to load or download, or a pot to boil. Squeeze your butt. Let it remember there are still muscles back there. Hold the squeeze as long as you can, then let go. Simple. Then try pulling your belly button back towards your spine. Hold that. That's right...it's the old suck it in. Pretend there is someone attractive around you would like to impress. Hold it as long as you can. Then release. Don't hold your breath while you do this, in fact, focus on breathing while you are sucking it in. Hey, you have just worked out you butt and your deep abdominal muscles. Good job. Now just keep doing it. Whenever you think about it. Not tough, doesn't take too much time and it's absolutely good for you.

And really, that is about the long and short of it. I have not quit smoking and I still drink way too much Mt. Dew, every single day, but I am losing weight and feeling really good about it. I hope these little things work for you, like they work for me. Because, we must always remember the body is a machine, we run it and ruin it ourselves. Make it work for you. Would you let your car become so overweight and unhappy that it would not drive you anywhere you wanted to go? Oh, hell no, it's a car, it belongs to you and does as you say. You could take it to a body shop and have the fat taken off by a professional, but who has the money for that? So, you fix it yourself, until the whole neighborhood gathers around your garage and says, "Wow, you really take care of that car and it totally shows."

No comments: