Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What's A Shark To Do?

Hey ya, It's me. I wanted to wait until after work to publish tonight. Boy, oh, boy. I felt a little shafted after my last shift so I got on-line and contacted my previous employer. They e-mailed me back today in a semi-positive manner. This does not mean I will quit the job I have currently, but it is pretty funny that every person I have spoken to at that place has another job on the side, if that tells you anything about the pay.

My feet ache. And this was not a long shift. I did finally locate where the schedule was and my next week is slightly horrific. I have an over Memorial Day Weekend 8hr shift, then two 7 hr shifts in the week (one squarely over the top of an already planned date which totally pisses me off.  I was going to go to the planetarium with my bf. It was going to be fun.) and then a whopping 8.5 hr shift on Saturday. And almost all of them are until store close, so Midnight. Like three-ish to Midnight. That is f-caking-crazy. Especially when I told them I wanted days. So, while I was thinking about working the two jobs this schedule had definitely given me something to think about. And not in the most positive way.

I also broke a nail at the very beginning of my shift. Broke A Nail! As a long standing wolf wearing sheepskin couture, I am just not sure that place is prepared for me. Moreover, what is shark supposed to do? I won't say it is all bad. I like working on the floor and it is pretty easy. I seem to be good at it. And I will be more comfortable the more I do it. The trainers have been really great, most of the people are pretty nice. But, there are no beverages allowed on the floor and I cannot go 8 hrs without Mt. Dew which could mean I'm downing a bottle on my breaks and lunch. Super. So, we are still very much in a sort of trial period of tentative 'like' with it.

Now I am super upset that I have to reschedule my date. And this job, if the shifts continue like this, is not going to be good for my writing as most it is done at night. I feel like I finally get some personal things in order and that bastard 'the man' is hunting them down to destroy them. Bye, bye, Social Life, and see ya later, Hopes and Dreams. Damn it. I'm not going to lose these things simply for money. They make more money everyday. How often does a really great special guy come along? Not often.

So, tonight we work viciously to prepare a second submission for publishing. If I can start making my hopes and dreams make me some damn money, then I can just be a writer. The pressure is on now. I must be good.  I must be better, best at this, in order to get something out of it. So, tonight we push harder, type faster, describe in more detail, make it funnier, and edit out all cultural references. Maybe I just need to stop whining about how crappy work is and really start focusing on what matters.  I will reschedule my date even though  I totally wanted to go to the planetarium with my bf and it only has shows on Thursday and Saturday/Sunday when I am working. I will figure out something fun and we will have a good time. That is all there is too it. Determination firmly back in place, we face the pelting cold rain of insecurity, work, and disappointment. No backing down, no being paralyzed with fear, no more self doubt --just jump up from the water and bite the sky, because that is what a shark does.

2 comments:

BrewMaven said...

SHARK ATTACK!!!!!

BrewMaven said...

An 8.5 hour shift??? WTF? All you may get is 30 hours, but man do they lump it all together.
Don't worry though, this is just temporary until the good stuff rolls your way. And it will, because Lady Luck is your homey. We should totally hang out sometime and she can tag along. :)