Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Good Things



Okay, peeps, I got a job. Not the job in the picture (as you can see that job is already taken), but it is a good reminder that there certainly are worse jobs out there. Mine's not great pay, but there are several very cool things about it and I wanted to share.

First, job hunting is a lot like dating, only with job hunting they have no problem looking at you and straight up saying "Hey, you are just not pretty enough for us to ride your ass for what we want." It is frustrating, degrading, faking, dressing-up, freaking out kind of bad.

However, had such a great interview yesterday, they made me stay to do a second interview immediately, then they offered me a job on the spot and had me talk to an HR rep. It was super fast and I walked out with a job. But, then again it is nearly a 50% pay cut from what I had been making previously, which is kind of huge, and benefits don't kick in for 90 day. That's the bad stuff.

The good stuff. Hey, we finally got a job and it's not cleaning an Indian sewer system like in the picture. It does pay something. It is like less than a mile from my house. It is not in food service (not really my thing). It is standing most of the time so will help with my exercise and not being fat because I sit for 8hrs a day. It is somewhat flexible as I can take hours from other people if I want to make more money. And the people who interviewed me are really nice and positive --they really seem to like their jobs. Plus, I shop there pretty regularly and an employee discount is pretty cool. I have not worked retail in a long time, but honestly I remember it being pretty fast paced and fun, so I am keeping a positive outlook on the whole deal.

Orientation is like next week or the week after. I am a little concerned this will interfere with my dating schedule or with my friend being in town next week (our hang time). I will probably go from open schedule to working-my-ass-off pretty quickly and I don't want this to fuck up my burgeoning love life or an event I have been anticipating for months. But, I know my peeps will understand --making money is important, too.

Being a financially parasitic organism has been a little soul crushing to me as I am used to being very independent, but it teaches you great lessons about who will be there for you when you really need them, when things in your life crash and burn. It also teaches you a lot of about humility and that we, as people, are NOT our jobs (which is more important than one might imagine). I bet that dude in the picture is an awesome dancer and participates in poetry slams on the weekends. I bet you didn't think that when you saw a picture of him in a sewer hole. Something to think about...

No comments: