Saturday, May 7, 2011

Beaches

Ever take a step back and realize suddenly your life very much mirrored a great film? Suddenly you’re in the office and it’s Resident Evil, all the office zombies wandering around you wanting your brains and all you have near you is a paperweight and an attitude for ass-kicking? You’re waiting in line at the bank think how easy it would be to rob it –ah la, Heat, Batman Begins into, Italian Job, Oceans Eleven, the list goes on?

Today I was looking at my best friend’s blog, which is constantly a source of inspiration for me. We are miles and miles apart, but I think about her every single day. I miss her all the time. Finding that best friend is honestly something I didn’t count on. I’m loud and obnoxious most of the time and it is a little off-putting to normal people. I had a friend in college who let me know one night over a great bowl that we were only friends because I was too persistent. I had my first college class with her and she did not want to be my friend –but I talked to her every class whether she liked it or not and, eventually, she just gave in and we became friends.

Now, my best friend, not to hurt any of my other great friends feelings if this story is not about you, I met at work. When she started working there we did not really talk. Honestly, I thought she was too pretty, which meant she would be stuck up, so I did not talk to her. But, somehow when she became QA for another team we started talking and we had a lot in common. Similar backgrounds, we liked to party, we liked to laugh and have a similar sense of humor. I always thought she was one of the coolest people and the more I got to know her, the cooler she turned out to be. She broadens my music tastes, gets me to go out to places and do stuff I would not have on my own. She also was really there for me after a break-up which should have qualified as a divorce, it was so horrific. She cried with me, laughed with me, and sold me my absolute favorite car I have ever owned. Really, she is such a special, wondrous person, that if I liked girls that way, I would have married her a long time ago.

It hit me suddenly today that we are a lot like that movie Beaches, which I hated when I watched it but is nigh on to inescapable if you are a girl. Two really good friends, the brunette is a little prettier than the redhead, the brunette excels relationship-wise, while the redhead kind of flounders there for a long time. The brunette has a sweet daughter. Now, in reality is it highly more likely the redhead will probably get cancer (because she smokes and likes it), rather than the brunette. But, you see them come in and out of each other’s lives affecting each other and being great friends. Seeing the parallels, although some of them are slight, made me smile and appreciate the movie more.


Made me appreciate that beach in the picture with me, too. ha, ha.

1 comment:

BrewMaven said...

Thanks so much for the very kind words. I really needed that and it has totally made my day. :)
I have a feeling that I'll be singing "Wind Beneath My Wings" all day long.
I am counting the days to see you it'll be so fun to hang out and talk! It'll be so awesome.
Best friendz RULE!