Wednesday, May 11, 2011

And The Beat Goes On...


Today’s blog is once again about music. I love music. It helps steer my mood. If I want to write something particularly ass kicking –I listen to a lot of hardcore electronica, smashing pumping bass and strong lyrics. When I write love scenes (and this one kind of depends on the characters) I kind of move between slow wafting romantic music, R&B songs, or once again fast pumping techno.

Lately, I have fallen madly in love with a young British DJ called Frankmusik. He puts out the normal pop/electronic love potions, but honestly has a nice fresh voice and some great damn songs. Good stuff, and a nice alternative to the over played Lady Gaga choke-holding dance music right now. I encourage anyone reading this to go to YouTube and at least watch a couple of his videos. In case you’re looking, here are some other goodies I’ve found lately – Tim Berg, Seeking Bromance, Architecture in Helsinki, Contact High, Cookies, Boycrazy, Deadmau5, Raise Your Weapon, Alexandra Stan, Mr. Saxobeat and Duck Sauce, Barbara Streisand.

Also boyfriend has been kind enough to try and expand my musical tastes with ‘The Ones and Threes’ from Versus and ‘Neptune’ by the Duke Spirit. Both are excellent although I really dig the Give A Little Love Token track on the Duke Spirit album. I find I need to be in just the right mood to listen to some of it and although these are much faster, more rock/alternative –I may simply need a thumping bass to be happy most of the time. Like these are ‘sun dress’, but I’m more ‘club dress’ –but I wear both at certain times. Not bad by any means, but different, which is good, that is why they call it ‘expanding your taste’ not ‘staying the same and being stubborn’.

As was previously mentioned in the ‘Holla Back’ posting regarding music my boyfriend still has bands he listened to in the 90’s that he still enjoys very much now. This is not meant to be any kind of critical comment, it is simply an observation that supports the findings that I have previously posted regarding males and music –which is interesting and made me smile. As also mentioned I made him a CD to kind of highlight what I was listening to at the time (so early March-ish 2011). This is what was on it:

Rolling In the Deep --Adele
Blood Bank --Bon Iver
I’ve Got That Tune --Chinese Man
Vampires --Dukes
Home --Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
Dog Days Are Over --Florence + The Machines
Pumped Up Kicks --Foster the People
Raised on Black & Tans --Gaelic Storm
Same Dream China --Golden Panda
11th Dimension --Julian Casblancas
Beauty Song (Jin Re Que) --Ziyi Zhang
Very Busy People --The Limousines
No Myth --Michael Penn
Little Lion Man --Mumford & Sons
Animal --Neon Trees
Pins & Needles --Opshop
The Big Bang --Rock Mafia
Que Sera --Wax Tailor

So, yeah, kind of all over the place. But, it makes a hellva CD so I wanted to post the list for others –maybe expand someone else’s musical taste. Plus, I pretty much wilt like a flower without water, if I can’t listen to music –so maybe this will help out another human being looking for something good to inspire them. Oh, and something really cool, today the Library of Congress opened up it's National Jukebox, which is a huge collection of free to listen to songs on-line --old ragtime pieces, operas, just a whole bunch of cool stuff. Check it out.

No comments: