Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Business Time!

For the uninitiated -the picture is a Flight of the Conchords reference worth checking out if you didn't already get it. Yeah, that's why they call'em business socks, Baby. And to make it real easy here's the link: http://youtu.be/WGOohBytKTU

So, orientation went well --It was a lot of safety videos and what-not paperwork. And instead of being just a cashier, like I thought going in, they asked me to be sales floor instead. It's the same pay, but probably more moving around so I said yeah. Training schedule is really light on hours, but kind of weird times all over the place, and I can't take more until I am trained to do everything. Plus, I have shifts to train for cashiering and sales floor. So, we'll see. I'm pretty excited about it, first shift is tomorrow.

I would like to comment on the age of all the other people in my training class which was clearly a 21 or younger affair. One of the cute little girls could not complete her W-2 because her mommy and daddy do all her tax forms for her. How cute? And when we introduced ourselves it was all name and what school are you currently attending. Nice.

To really finish off the whole 'please, get me a walker as I am at least ten years older than all of you' feeling, one of the college Jr.'s had an issue with her schedule because she is getting married which sent the entire table of girls into fits of giggling and wedding hysterics. I, myself, wanted to offer her the listing of really lovely marriage counselors I know practically by heart, at this point. It was so wrong of me, but I couldn't help it. Kids so young hooking up for 'forever' and so excited about it. I guess, that is fine. I, at this point, really know how much work it takes, so the concept gives me a large amount of pause and serious consideration.

Plus, and this one settles me comfortably into the category of jaded cynic and all around bad person on the matter, she wasn't particularly good looking -plain, overweight, overly-chatty --so, as a female I immediately compare her to me and go 'well, if she can get that, what is really wrong with me?' The answer, naturally, is nothing. And to really put this one to bed --ten years ago I would have made a terrible partner. Sometimes it simply takes a long time to find out who you are and really love yourself, so you can really be a great partner for someone else. Now, I am totally aware that sounds cornier than a Nebraska field, but it's true. I feel like my new relationship is so much more healthy and good than it would be had I not taken the time to really perfect me first. It was interesting and caused me a great deal of thought last night, all the same.

And I have a date on Friday night. I said in a previous post that I was going to pack a romantic picnic and we were going to go for coffee then to a nice park. However, as usual, I'm a little ahead of the start pistol and did not check the weather --which is totally supposed to be crappy and has a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms. So, a nice, romantic --soaking wet picnic. Classy. Dang it. I really should be evaluating why my 'plans' never work out. But, we are headed to coffee first then figuring something out to do, so if it is really bad, we can do something else. Doesn't particularly matter to me, I just like being around him, doesn't really matter what we do. Pretty sweet, huh?

No comments: