Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chemistry


Okay, we this evening my sister K and sister D went to see Thor. We had a wonderful coupon that got us all in for $5, which is one of the best coupons I have signed up for ever really. I love movies. I watch a lot of them --like a lot. I've seen some great stuff and I have seen some real stinkers. I will admit that I like superhero movies --and luckily there have been a lot of them out in the last five or so years. I loved the PS at the end of the first Iron Man movie that let you know that if this one made enough money they would be working on an Avengers movie. I have kind of been watching the individual backstory movies to prep for that. I did not like any of the Hulk ones so far, even the Edward Norton one which had an excellent performance by Tim Roth. I did, however like the Iron Man movies very much and think that really they cast those pretty perfectly. I love Robert Downey, Jr.

So, what did the Thor movie and this blog up until today have in common? --They both had nothing to do with chemistry. Thor itself was a rather fun, effects heavy superhero movie. And if you go in expecting that you will walk out satisfied. It had a nice cast --although the romance between Thor and Jane Scientist had nothing in it. It was as flat as Natalie Portman, people. And really that's like pretty flat. When they kissed at the end, I honestly had to look away, there was just nothing that made me want them to end up together, so then really, you are just watching two actors paid to kiss one another. Stellan Skarsgard, was solid -funny and endearing, and the villain, Tom Hiddleston as Loki was very good, as well.

The comedy was a little overplayed. Especially, (spoiler here) the three times Thor gets hit by cars. The hospital one was the funny one, the others were a good build, but they were positioned too closely in the film to really be appreciated. Much like Spielberg talked about the scares in 'Jaws' --you just can't get away with doing them so close together. Now the big shocker for me, not having followed the buzz up to going to the movie, was that it was directed by Kenneth Branagh. --If he can pull so much chemistry out of 'Much Ado About Nothing', why did the romance in this fail so miserably? I was shocked. Anyway, I guess I may have expected too much out of that and that is why it disappointed me. Oddly, I felt like Stark and Pepper had great chemistry. This just did not do it for me. But, with that said, it is a fine action movie, some moments were visually stunning and CGI seemed to be integrated fairly well, not super well, but better that 'Clash of the Titans', etc.

And honestly, my sisters are now in love with Chris Chenworth, who was Thor and does have a nice body. I am more of an Iron Man girl, so I will stick with my Tony Stark, thank you very much. I am a sucker for those smart boys. I will say the Captain America trailer looked intriguing. I may have to go see that one as I really liked Chris Evans in 'The Losers' and 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World', even though the CGI was highly visible even in the preview. I know the Avengers movie is already filming so I am still waiting on that one, but I will definitely go see that. And for the record, this one was worth the $5 I paid to get in.

And I don't care how cool Samuel L. Jackson is, every time he walks on the screen, ah la the PS as Nick Fury, I think in my head --"I'm just so tired of these m*therf*cking snakes on this m*therf*cking plane!" Me too, Big Sam, me too.

No comments: