Monday, August 1, 2011

What, this is a TEST?!


Okay, so, the interview. I really, really do think the in-person, face to face interviews I had with like three people did go really well. However, unbeknownst to me, they had about four test set up for me to take when I got there --a 10 key test, a typing test, and a cognitive sort of filing test. Now, aside from the fact that you are incredibly nervous when you get to an interview, this about made me throw up in my handbag. I hate typing tests and I am at least 75% sure that I proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can not type, 10-key, or cognate anything at all. I didn't even see what I got (scored) --and I don't want to bloody know. Wow, yeah, it was horrific.

So, whatever. I had good interviews -the system they are using is super simple and I could do either job really easily with about a week of training (max), that is of course if they are willing to overlook the testing fails I perpetrated. Having said this --I believe the one I will be offered will be the one on the phones as that is the one that is going to be difficult to hire for in the first place (however, I believe this one would be the one that would also pay a little bit better anyway) and technically would require less typing than the processing position. I am trying not to be broken hearted about it, but we shall see anyway. One should not count those eggs before they hatch, right?

But, this raises once again that important question. How do weird anomalies such as myself still exist? Someone who squarely considers themselves a writer, but sucks at typing. Yep. Or someone who considers themselves an 'administrative worker', who has no 10-key skills. Yep. That's me. And what is worse is how this person stands up against all the 10 pound, blonde secretary types who can type their little hearts out at 85 wpm while executing a perfect hair toss. Hmmm. Well, what I am hoping, or more relying upon in this particular case, is that I am a big confident b*tch with nearly 10 years of experience and a fresh from retail, ready to do just about anything for this job, attitude.

I was one of the first interviews this week, so HR said they would let me know early next week. Either that or she saw my typing test results and they will be politely calling to say I should be practicing more and call them in a few years. I don't even know. I wish I felt better about it -but then again it always seems like the ones I think went well that never call, so perhaps the 'fail' label on this one will get me a callback. I am honestly not sure at all. I am hoping that all the luck my friends, boyfriend, and  family wished me worked and I will simply turn out to be lucky on this one. :)

No comments: