Friday, August 26, 2011

Thundercats RE-vamp


So, as mentioned in my previous blog, I did watch some Thundercats last night. The new ones that are on Cartoon Network now. And I had a few things to say about it. Now, maybe these comments are peppered with the longings of my youth and perhaps with the bitterness of my age, but I had to get them out there in case another other fanboys/fangirls agreed with me.

So, the animation is awesome, there is just no getting around that --the whole thing is jaw droppingly gorgeous and really a lot of eye candy. Also, most of the outfit changes I pretty much agreed with --yeah, why didn't the original Thundercats ever wear pants?...and did that subconsciously lead to my sisters love of wearing no pants, or mine perhaps....hmmm. However, as you can see Cheetara's pants have this weird Vee in the front that seemed just, well, unneeded. Also, I liked that Snarf doesn't f-ing talk, in the new one he is like a cute furry, and actually funny character. I also liked that the new Mumm-Ra is super creepy, very cool.

And now things I hated. Now I always liked Wily Kit/Cat because they were not kids they were simply smaller adult cats because Wildcats are smaller than lions or tigers, get it? That's why they were cool to me. In the new ones they are small annoying children with huge appetites (very anime), so that did not set exactly well with me. And I hate some of the other character changes. Lion-O is better, not so whiny, etc. But Tygra who used to be modest and smart, is now super arrogant and stupid. He used to be one of my favorite characters, but now he seems like he is waiting to stab Lion-O in the back all the time, which makes him hard to like. Cheetara who was wise and cool, is now kind of skanky Ke$ha, flirting with both Lion-O and Tygra. It's like an icky love triangle. Panthro, well, in my opinion he stayed pretty much the same only he's much more serious now.

Part of the great part about Thundercats, for me as a kid, was that they were all friends who trusted each other, and the episodes were basically getting Lion-O out of trouble. The new ones seem so muddled together, all super pinned up conflicts within the team, not them fighting together for something. Everyone has a motive for something different. Holy crap, I nearly forgot --no cool music to go with their fighting talents vignettes anymore! I really missed those. I knew the cool theme music that was supposed to play under each one and I missed it. Really, a lot. I know the old one is dated -but I was really hoping for updated versions. I guess they think the fast moving action will make up for that, but I don't know. I still wanted it. Music helps make things stick in the mind. Maybe that is why I remember the old one so vividly, can so easily compare in my mind.

Ah, well, they are still worth watching and I hope they catch on. I would love to see some Trick -or-Treaters wearing Thundercat costumes this year. I think that would be super cool.

No comments: