Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Way to Be


Today, I am feeling grateful. It is a simple fact that gratitude is important. You must realize these days, for me, are followed by days of obsessive sentimentality, then the writing of pseudo-twelve step forgiveness letters that I never send out. Before, I got to bed, I bring to mind instances that would be forgotten, good people who did good things for me. Who saved my ass, or expressed compassion toward me that I was, at the time, ungrateful for. I speculate that it is why we all keep saying to be nice to 'children and old people'. Now I, myself, have only experienced the youth portion of this statement, but hope that it holds true for my aged years, as well, considering how much I really benefited from it.

For a dreamer who escaped the corporate choke hold, at least temporarily, to live said dream there are so many people to thank that it is slightly overwhelming. Of course, thank you to my loyal friends and family members who have supported me in every way that it is possible to support, like a good bra they stand firm and strong. Dude, you know who you are! Thank you to each and every lost-touch-with-you friend for acting excited when I told you I was writing a book, it felt awesome every single time you looked surprised and elated. Massive thank you to anyone who took the time to read one of my things when I asked you to. Oh, and I would also like to thank Mr. dating guy for your thoughtful e-mails and taking me out for conversations which have given me hope there is another intelligent soul left, and letting me fantasize about you at my leisure (which is both helpful and not helpful at the same time. hee, hee.). And thank you, my own body, for finally starting to really slough off the fat girl winter coat and start letting that thin b*tch inside of me eat her way out.

And lastly, really, thank you Charlie Sheen for redefining the word 'winning' for me. It seems a lot more applicable the way you use it and now I can use it all the time.

Well, enough positive gushing gratitude. Thank you notes must be written. 

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Heather, we've known each other for a longer period of time apart than the two years I was in Nebraska. You are one of my most cherished people from NE and I know you have a great story to tell and your book will be fabulous. Mucho kisses!!!