Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Selective Vegetarian?

Look at that sad little guy. Adorable. Don't ya just wanna squeeze'em?

Hi, My name is H and I'm allergic to fish. Today that is what I will be talking about. I know it is not the best topic, but I didn't get any sleep last night and I bought some flaxseed vitamins yesterday when I really wanted to buy the fish oil ones because I think I may need the Omega-3's.

First, I would like to clarify that I do not tell people I have a fish allergy to get attention. It's like a God damn disability, at this point, stupid and I hate telling people about it. But, if you know me, right now you're thinking, 'Well you do talk about it a lot'. Certainly I do. Because, it could kill me and people forget things. My own mother suggested we have salmon patties for Christmas brunch not two weeks after I told her. And that's my mother, People. However, getting back in the dating scene has made me realize some people still think that, and moreover, it can be a real turn off, especially if you love sushi and I can never, never enjoy that with you. Sad really. Maybe vegetarian sushi.

Anyway, for people who may need it I have a little list. It has some surprises on it (even for me who has been label reading for nearly two years to avoid fish in anything). Every allergy website will also tell you NOT to eat at a restaurant you expect may cook fish on a communal surface (hibachi style grills), fry fish in the same oil as other things (bye Long John Silvers), or have fish added to sauces (most high end restaurants).

Foods Commonly Containing Fish:


•Caesar salad dressing

•Worcestershire sauce

•Ceviche (fish or shellfish "cooked" in an acidic citrus marinade)

•Caviar

•Gelatin

•Cioppino

•Nam pla (Thai fish sauce)

•Bouillabaisse

•Fumet (fish stock)

•Surimi

•Pissaladière

•Omega-3 supplements (if you would like to take these, look for vegan varieties made from flaxseed or other plant-derived oils)

•Caponata

•Imitation fish or shellfish (That’s right, imitation fish and crab is still fish.)

•Meatloaf

•Barbecue sauce (some are made from Worcestershire)

Or how about these:
Airborne (I read this one on the package, but couldn’t find it on their website so formula may have changed. I ended up taking it back to the store.)

Isinglass is a substance obtained from the swim bladders of fish (especially sturgeon), it is used for the clarification of wine and beer.

Some Chicken is also manufactured in the same place as fish is handled and is labeled on the bag. I recently had to put some back in the frozen food case because of this.

Wow, yeah, I'm was kind of surprised. I particularly like how imitation fish and seafood is still fish, just not the fish you think it is. So, fish in disguise as fish. That's like a person dressing up for Halloween as a person. Ha, ha.

1 comment:

BrewMaven said...

Being veganish, I have discovered all this stuff as well. It's crazy what they put in food that shouldn't be there. So if you ever have a hankerin' for something, I probably know of a fish free way to get your grub on. :)