Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sports Jinx

So, the story goes like this...on Friday night I was rather excitedly invited to hang out at ye ole sports bar to watch the last race of the Indy car season, by my Indy car racing fan Ex. I gleefully accepted as all of my fantasy games would be playing, no doubt.

He also mentioned and I love this...that his mother has psychic winning abilities to help the Huskers win games and then explained how she uses her powers for only good and to help the Huskers win, which I absolutely love. I kind of wished I had psychic powers that would help out my teams as they certainly seem to need it this year. However, I don't know if I mentioned back to him that my mother has the power of sports jinx. She watches a Husker game and we will lose, that is just how it is, how it has always been. Lately, she has not had that effect so we have all assumed that her sports jinx simply went away with age ---but, this is not true. It has simply been passed down I think...possibly to me.

Now how could I, in good conscience come up with something like that? Well, I watched the Redskins/Eagles game today. I rooted for the Redskins and they lost. I watched part of the Patriots/Cowgirls game --and watched screaming as TBrady threw a heinous interception right in front of me. And as if to really hammer this home. I was watching the Izod Indy 200 today. If you have not heard, in lap 12 there was a 15 car pile up with crashing and flying cars and the winner of the Indianapolis 500, Dan Wheldon, who was one of the Ex's favorites judging by how he spoke of him, died in the hospital after the crash. They black flagged the race. K said he had never seen a crash that bad. It was awful. Terrible.

But, was it me? Have I become a sports pariah? I hope not, but the signs are there. I will have to make sure the TV is off for the next Husker game. I will only watch the statstracker and not the games on my fantasy league play. I will not even glance at people in the park playing frisbee golf. I swear, I will make sure everyone is safe from my sports jinx --no more loss of life is necessary to convince me. I will however make sure to watch some Michigan games (not against Nebraska) as the mailroom guy I work with is a die-hard Wolverine's fan and I would like to shut him up once in a while. Also, after I stopped watching the Patriots game, TBrady came back and threw for another TD so they did win, thank God.

No comments: