Sunday, October 9, 2011

Good Person


So, back in the day, back in high school there was a girl in my class of 16 people who I really did admire. Her name was Verda and she was nice to everyone. It didn't matter if you were popular or unpopular, smart or stupid, short or tall, she was nice to you. She took the time to be kind to kids and old people and never had a bad thing to say about anyone. I liked her because she was nice to me. I was awkward and strove constantly just to make friends. --She would later tell me that she admired me because I was always 'me' even when it was not cool. She said I was unique and that made me special. We remain friends, although I have not talked to her in way too long a time.

Sometimes the lessons we learn from these experiences stick with us. I always thought that her being nice to everyone really made her a good person, so I strive even now to take that and make myself better. I think I may have done that last night at work.

There is a kid there, about 20, really awkward, just moved to town about two months ago, and everyone at work kind of makes fun of him. For purposes of the blog we will refer to him as 'AD'. When he moved here he moved with his girlfriend of 3yrs, but she had problems adjusting to the new place and basically walked out on him last night before work saying, 'I'm just not sure about how I feel about you anymore.' Now, he was not dealing very well and looking for a female prospective on the situation so he asked me what he should do. So, I laid it out for him. And it was painful. I was looking at me when R walked out --the desperation, the questions (What did I do? What can I do to get them to come back? Why?), the heartache. All of it I understood all too well. So, we talked and I think I said some good things that resonated with him, but I know it's just talk, it never changes how you feel, dying slowly, questioning yourself. Poor guy.

It was only later as the rest of the team came over and started talking about it, making fun of him and avoiding him because they didn't care and didn't want to listen, that I realized not everyone is a good person. I genuinely did care, so I walked away, found other things to do away from them because I was disgusted. Everyone deserves compassion when they are hurting, no matter who they are --what was wrong with these people? It made me think about the night right after my break-up in August when I came in less than okay --and how fake some people are. So, before I left, I made sure AD had my e-mail just in case he needed to talk, because he was headed back to an empty house with nothing better to do than obsess and hurt. Because I'm a good person. Because I know the right thing to do and do it because I should and can. We can all do this, look around you, be kind even when it is inconvenient or hard --because you will need that someday. It's the right thing, the good thing.

I also gave someone else a ride home, because it was midnight and raining, in a car that barely works anyway, even though her house is two miles out of my way, because I'm a good person and I was on a roll. :)

No comments: