Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cornbeef & Cabbage

On Thursday I will be attempting a new feat. I'm gonna cook cornbeef and cabbage for my family for St. Patrick's Day. Yeah, I know it doesn't seem like a huge deal and other people do it all the time, but let me tell you about how I used to cook.

Once Upon A Time, there cooked a princess with a horrific record....

Incident One: Screwed up flake mashed potatoes. Added too much water, thought continual stirring would eventually thicken potato soup into mash potatoes. This did not occur.

Incident Two: The mac and cheese mishap. Did not read directions on box thinking they were beneath me. Did not strain macaroni, simply added cheese. Applied the 'stir until it thickens' principle with the same fruitless results as Incident One.

Meats: I don't get it, so is there always supposed to be grease smoke so thick it burns your eyes everytime?

Cooking W/ Alcohol: For a while there I even tried that drinking and using alcohol in my cooking idea to become a better cook. I honestly have no idea how this phase of cooking experimentation turned out, much like the best parts of college, I remember it kind of like a flashing rave, some hot guy (or was he), and waking up partially naked somewhere. So, I gave it up.

Baking: Now I have become a fairly good baker. The precision of measuring and reading a cake box seems to suit me. I have even branched out in search of making the perfect moist cake. It used to be the perfect frosting, but I lost my taste for frostings, they seem too sweet to me and very rarely compliment the cake appropriately. This I am still working on.

So, knowing all of this (I hope it was kind of great like a fuzzy flashback), now you can see the importance of my message. It's like a precaution to have the local fire department on speed dial, just in case I don't blog.

1 comment:

BrewMaven said...

I've never made corned beef and cabbage. Good luck! Does it involve a crock pot? That could be a fairly safe considering your record. ;) There's some good things that come out of those babies. get in my bellay!