Thursday, February 24, 2011

Holla Back!


Alright so, I was reading a friend's very interesting, super fun blog today and she raised the question of 'bad music' or people whose musical taste has never changed throughout their lives. It really made me think. I love music. I love all kinds of music. Recently I was writing on something and it has flashbacks that require me to think about some of the music I was listening to out in BFE when I was in high school and I have had a wonderful time tracking down some of the hot tracks I was listening to at the time.

Even with a radio station that played nothing but country and trying desperately to tune in the station two hours away for some adult easy listening, I had a varied taste level. I have read many articles that say what is true in animal mating in the wild kingdom (woman attach to mates to raise children, while guys look all over the place for something to insiminate), the exact opposite has shown to be true with musical tastes and the sexes. Men tend to find that one band they love and follow them through their natrual lives, while woman are more attracted to pop music and change how much they like a band based on, maybe, one song. I found this paradox intensely interesting.

I still love pop music. I like shake you ass dance songs and easy to sing hooks. In particular with the old junk I am gathering I like how that music made me feel. Because I can remember the things they inspired. I remember the tribal like school dances, trying to bust a move. I remember the first time I went to a bar and danced and what songs they played that night. I am not a huge fan of country but I downloaded 'Fishin' In the Dark'. What a great damn song. I downloaded some Hall & Oates, some Heart, some Depeche Mode, some Duran Duran, some Black Crowes, some Eddie Money, some Indigo Girls. I put it into a playlist I call 'Old Stuff'.

And I remember singing that Eazy-E song 'Gimme that Nutt' at the top of our lungs racing down some gravel road, smoking cigarettes like we were God damn rockstars. Now that I listen to it, it is probably a little inappropriate for white high school girls, but hey. Music, what can ya do about it.

I will concur as a girl with blue eyes, I HATE that lame-ass Van Morrison song 'Brown Eyed Girl'. However, I will shake it for 'Love Shack' when it is played on the musak at Walmart. And if it's 'Piano Man' or 'No Myth', I actually drop my packages and sing and dance right there in the store. ;)

1 comment:

BrewMaven said...

Your blog made me laugh! The hubs is one of those music rut types. It's totally true, they are the women of music. He would rather listen to the Go-Go's or They Might Be Giants than partake in anything new. And it's up to me to keep his wardrobe fresh as well as his music selection. If I hadn't of come along, he'd still be in sweater vests (with a tshirt) and pleated chinos.
Once again, proving that women are better than men.